Rushing to Re-Take the LSAT in February?

Today I received an e-mail with a relevant question about re-taking the February LSAT. When I tried to respond to the question, the person's e-mail server kicked it back to me. Therefore, I'm taking this opportunity to respond to the question here, hoping that (1) the reader will return and have her question answered, and (2) the response will benefit many of you.

Hi Ann,
I am so pleased I found a blog that included your link. Here is my question:
I am a 46 year old student. I have registered for the Kaplan study course, which is held during the month of January; and, have registered for the February LSAT . I do not believe this is enough of time to prepare, although, I do not know how much I can learn in the Kaplan class. Perhaps I can master this LSAT and achieve an acceptable score. I seem rather rushed. Or, should I take the LSAT, gamble that I will most likely perform weakly; but, just take it to get the feel of it. Contrarily, do you suppose it would be most positive if I take the course, study on my own for a few months, and take the next LSAT when I am feeling more secure about my performance (June).
What would you advise?
-A

My response:

If you are applying for Fall 2009, then postpone and take the June LSAT. You have plenty of time. The only reason to rush is if you absolutely must go to law school in Fall 2008. But it's very late in this application cycle, and I'd rather you apply early for next year than late for this year. Do not take the LSAT to "get a feel for it". That only means you'll have something to explain as a weakness in your application when you apply.
Happy new year, and please let me know how I can be of service to you.