The Benefits of Attending Law School Part Time

My post on Wednesday was geared toward those who really want to be full time law students but were considering applying part time due to perceived lower numerical standards.
Today's post is geared toward those that really will be working and/or taking care of families in addition to attending law school and for whom part time programs are their best option for applying to law school.
When I began law school in 1996, I was a part-time evening student. I was busy pursuing a full time career in advertising and while I wanted to go to law school, I wasn't ready to give up my full time job. Here are some things I loved about being an evening student:
1. Nice people. My classmates were mostly older, had jobs and families, and had things in perspective. They were willing to work together and enjoy each other a little more than I think most of the younger, full-time day students were.
2. Faculty treated us more like adults and were (generally) more respectful toward the night students.
3. A little bit smaller of a section.

Here were some of the not so great things:
1. To take advantage of clubs and organizations (I was the Evening program Student Bar Association Representative, among my other involvements), you pretty much need to be available during the day.
2. Faculty and student services related offices are not usually available at night.
3. You're on a different curve than the day students, and they perceive the program as being "easier" since you can get on law review with a 3.5 and they need a 3.7 (for example..... this is not always the case, but is one of the sticky wickets about being a night student).
4. You need to take summer school to graduate in 3 years (at most schools).

I'm happy to answer any questions, but remember that each school's program is different and for individual policies and circumstances you need to talk to admissions officers at the school you're considering attending.