Marriage in Canada

Marriage became an official option for same sex couples in Canada yesterday, when the bill that the legislature passed on Tuesday was signed into law. The new law applies across Canada. Prior to this, marriage equality was legal only in certain provinces. The legislation clearly excempts religious officials from performing marriages which their religion does not recognize.

Canada does not require that either party to a marriage be a Canadian citizen, but be aware that if you travel up north for your marriage, it might not be recognized when you return home.

Spain, Belgium, the Netherlands and Massachusetts also have marriage equality. I'm proud to say that I've now been legally married (so long as I remain within the borders of my state) for almost three weeks now, and my wife and I couldn't be happier.

Cheers, Canada!